- This event has passed.
Exploring the San Lorenzo River BioBlitz!
April 21, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
What is a BioBlitz?
A BioBlitz is community science event where people learn about, identify and record all the living species they can identify within an ecosystem. A BioBlitz provides a snapshot of the biodiversity in an area and can be used as a tool for residents and researchers to learn about the plants and animals in their community.
On Earth Day and World Fish Migration Day 2018, you’re invited to join the Coastal Watershed Council and Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History for the 2nd Annual BioBlitz along the San Lorenzo River at the Tannery Arts Center. This is the culminating event of the Exploring the San Lorenzo River Series. What better way to put your new knowledge of the San Lorenzo River ecosystem and wicked identification skills to use. Work with fellow naturalists, nature enthusiasts, scientists, and volunteers to study and record the biodiversity along the lower San Lorenzo River.
BioBlitz will start here at the Tannery Arts Center at 9:00. All ages and experience levels are welcome. RSVP today to learn more about the 2nd Annual San Lorenzo River BioBlitz!
Are you a biology specialist? Are you a wiz at identifying birds, plants, bugs, or fungi? Join us as an expert! Email email@example.com to learn how you can help.
How does a BioBlitz work?
- Create an account: you can create an account on a computer HERE, or download the app onto your mobile device and then create an account. You will need to enter some basic information and create log in credentials.
- Make an observation! It would be great to practice* making observations before the bioblitz. On your mobile device, it is best to enable location services so that photos have a geo-location. You can take a photo directly in the app, or upload photos from your photo library. If you do not have location associated with the photo, you can use the app to place a “pin” on the map. Similarly, you can upload photos from a camera using your computer.
- Identify your organism. When you make an observation, it is best to try and identify what you are looking at. There are field guides in the app to help you–fill out as much as you can. If you do not know what you are looking at, you can indicate that you need help identifying! It is helpful to narrow it down as much as possible–at least “plant” or “bird”, rather than a total unknown. Experts will go through to help you!
- Help someone with an identification. As an expert, you may be able to help others identify an organism in person or through the app. You can browse observations and filter for your area of expertise.
- Join the BioBlitz. Search for “Earth Day BioBlitz 2018″ in projects near you and join! You will get updates leading up to the blitz.
You can also find more helpful information here.