Job Posting: River Ecologist
CWC is seeking a part-time River Ecologist to join our team! This 25 hour per week job offers benefits including health, vision and dental insurance, professional development and retirement contributions. If you or someone you know loves working with people and plants, look no further! Read on to learn more about the position, view the full job description and apply today!
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are due no later than Sunday, October 31, 2021.
The River Ecologist implements environmental restoration and landscape projects along the lower San Lorenzo River and Santa Cruz Riverwalk park. Restoration efforts typically include controlling invasive species, installing native plants, maintaining project sites through weeding and watering, and vegetation monitoring. Restoration activities are completed by the River Ecologist as well as community volunteers. The River Ecologist is responsible for coordinating volunteers before, during and after volunteer events. The River Ecologist will listen and learn from the Santa Cruz community to inform their work as well as equip, empower and acknowledge volunteers to take action to improve watershed health.
For more information on CWC’s restoration activities, please visit: https://coastal-watershed.org/san-lorenzo-river/our-approach/habitat
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement restoration activities including native plant installation and maintenance, and invasive species removal.
- Recruit, coordinate, and lead youth and adult volunteers in restoration activities.
- Ensure volunteers follow safety protocols, including field and public health protocols.
- Communicate about volunteer opportunities, the San Lorenzo River ecosystem and habitat improvements through photos and videos on social media, as well as written blog posts and program reports.
- Communicate with volunteers and program partners through email, phone calls and meetings in order to sustain strong working relationships and achieve program outcomes.
- Complete environmental monitoring and evaluation through plant survivorship analysis and percent cover surveys.
- Communicate quickly and effectively with supervisor and colleagues about project challenges and opportunities. Understand limitations in the field and execute tasks to the best of your ability.
- Keep workspaces clean, safe and organized. Maintain tools and equipment.
- Maintain a daily record of activities.
Complete Job Description
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and due no later than Sunday, October 31, 2021.
You may apply using the form below or by submitting your application via email to Laurie Egan, Programs Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailing, please include “River Ecologist” in the subject line of your email and attach:
- A resume/CV and
- Cover letter
River Ecologist Job Application - Fall 2021